Does your dog give you those big, sad puppy dog eyes as soon as you touch the doorknob to leave for work? Do they nudge you with their nose and try to dart out the door as soon as you open it? Well, I am here to give you some great news for you and Fido!
Over the last 5 years, there has been an increase in businesses that allow their staff to bring their well-trained dogs to work. Having pets in the workplace can be a win-win for employers and employees.
Studies have shown that having dogs in the workplace can:
- Reduce Stress – Petting a dog for just ten minutes can help reduce stress according to a study by Washington State University. When we pet a dog, our bodies release oxytocin. Oxytocin is responsible for regulating our emotional response. It is what gives our bodies the warm, fuzzy feeling we crave when we are in a high stress situation. As such, dog owners who are allowed to bring their dog to work feel less stressed than colleagues who leave their dog at home. Dogs in the workplace can also improve employee job satisfaction, which helps to increase employee retention.
- Reduce Anxiety and Feelings of Isolation – Dogs in the workplace offer more social support for employees and provide more opportunities for employees to interact in a positive setting. Studies show an increase of social support was associated with a decrease in depression and better job performance. Office dogs help employees feel more comfortable in the workplace and counterbalance any on the job tension.
- Encourage Regular Breaks – Having a dog in the workplace means you’ll need to take regular breaks to take them out for a walk or give them food. However, these breaks can be a great reset for the employee/employer. Taking regular breaks is necessary for people to clear their mind, gather their thoughts, and regroup. You will return to your desk feeling refreshed and ready to tackle your next project.
- Increase Productivity and Teamwork – Office dogs encourage team building and communication which leads to better productivity. The presence of a dog in the workplace can bring significant health and performance benefits to employees, which in turn increases company productivity and efficiency.
- Offer a Morale Boost - Dogs in the workplace help to elevate employee job satisfaction. Office dogs can be an instant mood booster. Nothing can put a smile on your face better when dealing with a tight deadline, than looking over at your pooch’s wagging tail, wide smile, and happy eyes. Dogs give unconditional love and affection which boosts office morale.
These are just a few of the many benefits of dogs in the workplace. So next time you get ready to walk out the door to start your work week, don’t hesitate to grab the leash and bring your dog along! And remember, if you want to give your spirits a boost, pet a dog. For those of you in the Lowcountry, come visit DWM and give pets to Buster Brown anytime!
Editor’s note: Kim Cline, our new Director of Client Relations, is in her third week at DWM. Kim previously worked for SunTrust bank and as a Medical Assistant. Kim lives in Mount Pleasant with her husband, son, and dog Zero. Kim’s husband works remotely and therefore has Zero as his companion every day.